Monday, April 6, 2009
Today I worked from 8:30am to 3:30pm for a total of 7 hours.
Total hours so far: 45hrs 40min
Today was another fun day at the Volunteer Office and Child Center. I spent my time doing the usual errands and making sure everything was up to date on some spread sheets for DVDs, etc. I also got to help make these Spring-time cards for patients for our Easter Holiday Hugs. I used a lot of arts and crafts to make these lovely cards with notes inside for patients from Volunteer Services. At the Child Center, I spent more time working with the kids, playing with them outside. It's intriguing to see how comfortable the children have become with me. They want me to sit with them, play with them, and some even want me for nap time or when they start crying. They also get sad when I leave, which breaks my heart.
I have still to talk to my supervisor about the pictures. I may have to wait until next week to start the project. Anyways, my WLE couldn't be going better. I am learning so much about the hospital and I am really familiar with it now. The other volunteers and I always talk. My favorite part though is talking to patients. Many are impressed that most of the volunteers are high schoolers and are very grateful for the service the volunteers provide. It's always the best though to see a patient when they are leaving. They look so happy, and we always say we hope you don't have to come back, because really you wouldn't want to wish someone that at a hospital. Some personally thank the volunteers every time, and it is so sweet. I really am enjoying my WLE with UCSF.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment