Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Workplace Learning Experience

Oh, the hardships of trying to work in the medical field. For the past few... no, many, months, I have been trying to work out a WLE at a hospital. After many calls, emails, and conversations, I have finally landed a fantastic WLE that will definitely be a great experience.

My WLE this year will be placed with UCSF Medical Center. It has been a long and hard process trying to obtain a mentor, especially in the medical field. However, after a long time of being persistent and calling many hospitals, I will not be volunteering at UCSF. Today I went through an orientation, getting myself acquainted with the Volunteer Services coordinators and learning about the opportunities UCSF has to offer. The next step would be to go to an interview, where the coordinators and I will work out all the WLE details.

I am so excited for this WLE, it is unimaginable. I feel giddy just thinking about which department I might have my WLE in or the possible projects that could come out from them! This WLE will definitely be a step up from the 3 years I have been volunteering at Kaiser's Main Hospital. The only downside I can think of is that for many departments the minimum age is 18, but there are still many opportunites available for me. Oh, and also, I can't work more than 4 hours a day, but still, it's not about the hours as much as it's about the experience, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment